Sometimes called the Devil’s Game or the “Little Wheel” in France, Roulette is surely one of the most well-known casino games in the world. This is probably because virtually everyone who has ever visited a casino has at one time or another tried their hands at it. But while you might have heard of Roulette before or even played a couple of hands, there are certain intriguing and obscure facts that you might not have known about it.
One of those facts is, while there are several variants of the game in different parts around the world, Russian Roulette is definitely not a variant of it, though its name might have been coined from the original Roulette, due its nature of chance.
What’s also might not be general knowledge is the Roulette’s online popularity. Apart from being popular offline, online Roulette is one of the key revenue sources for online casino sites. Even the best online casino to play for real money will feature a handful of live dealer and flash Roulette games.
Facts About Roulette
1. In 1891, Charles Wells, a small-time crook in the famous Monte Carlo Casino Resort, was able to prove that it is in fact very possible to break the bank playing Roulette. Wells was said to have won over one million Francs from 23 out of 30 consecutive spins which is the highest anyone has ever won in Roulette.
2. The most commonly chosen number on the Roulette wheel is 17. The reason for this is probably because James Bond plays that same number in some of the films and books about him. This doesn’t mean that the odds of this number winning is any better than the others though.
3. Some call it the Devil’s game. No, it has nothing to do with the possible harms of gambling at all. Why? The reason for the nickname originates from adding up all the numbers of the Roulette wheel together. The result is 666.
4. There are really no sure tactics to win in a game of Roulette, although some may argue that they have developed a winning system that works for them. While there are also some illegal ways, the game itself is set up in a way that will definitely defeat any “sure” tactic set up to win. The best way to ensure a win is to place a bet on the entirety of red or black numbers and nothing more.
5. Because of the number structure and the way that the Roulette wheel is built, the fact that a black number was hit doesn’t mean that a red number will be next. At the same time, the likelihood of hitting the same color 10 times in a row is merely 1 to 1024. Nevertheless, in a casino in Bristol, England, the red-colored number was hit not only 10 times but 36 times in a row.