Mold often appears at places we hardly ever go or touch, primarily caused by humidity, warm temperatures, and lack of sunlight. While some molds are relatively harmless, there are molds that could cause sickness and allergies to flare up. Regardless of what kind of mold grows, I’m sure you would want to get rid of any mold growing in your house. As someone who has a few kids running around, I try to lessen my use of harmful chemicals; So here are a few ways to get rid of mold the safe way.
Using Hydrogen Peroxide For Mold Removal
Most homes have hydrogen peroxide in the medicine cabinets. It’s a wonderful Antiviral, Antifungal, and Antibacterial solution, which makes it a great way to get rid of mold. It’s mainly just water with an extra oxygen molecule (H2O2), which makes it fairly safe to use.
Most uses of 3% hydrogen peroxide often suggest diluting it with a certain ratio of solution to water, for mold removal, you will want to use it undiluted. Follow the steps below:
- Simply put the solution in a spray bottle and spray the affected area, leaving the solution for about 10 minutes.
- Scrub the surface with a brush with sufficient force to remove the remaining mold.
- Wash the area with water or wipe with a cloth with some water and hydrogen peroxide.
- And dry it with another cloth, and you’re done!
Vinegar as an Acidic Solution to Mold
If you’re not the type of home that has hydrogen peroxide, maybe preferring a different antiseptic for your first aid needs, you probably have this more common household product. Vinegar’s acidic nature isn’t just wonderful for cooking, it makes it a natural antifungal as well, having the ability to kill 82% of species which includes the dreaded black mold.
You’re going to want to use vinegar at full strength, so don’t dilute it in water. Just like the hydrogen peroxide, you’re going to need to place it in a spray bottle and follow the steps below:
- Spray the affected area, covering it fully with the solution, and leave it for an hour.
- Wipe it with a cloth or paper towels, the acetic acid should soften the mold allowing you to wipe with ease.
- Allow it to dry without washing it with water. Don’t worry about the smell, it should go away in a few hours.
When Life Gives you Lemons, Use it to Get Rid of Mold
So you have Vinegar, but don’t like the smell lingering even for just a few hours. If that’s the case, I recommend lemons! Acidic like vinegar, so antifungal, but with a more pleasant smell!
The application is similar to vinegar, you only need to wait for a few minutes instead of an hour, and wipe! You might want to apply it twice when it comes to tough molds.
Using these Non-toxic solutions to mold are inexpensive ways to treat small contained mold problems. But if you find yourself with a big infestation, I would recommend calling a mold remediation company. DIY remedies are great! But in the event of an infestation, you’re gonna need people with the big guns to come in.